This is an important question that foreigners need to know if they are planning to live in Cambodia. The answer is yes. There is no rule that says that citizenship of a certain country must be granted to foreigners living in a country. The foreigner has all rights that the Cambodian people have. The only thing that the foreigner needs to have is a visa and a work permit.
If you have been dreaming of living in Cambodia, you should know that it is not difficult to become a Cambodian resident. In fact, whether you are living in Cambodia on a student visa or a retirement visa, you can easily apply for Cambodian citizenship. As a foreign resident, you can enjoy the same benefits as a Cambodian citizen, including healthcare and education. So, if you want to live in Cambodia, you should not have any problem in doing so.
Applying for Cambodian citizenship is processed by the Ministry of interior, and it at least takes two to three months to get done. For more details of the procedure, requirement documents, and many more, quickly look through these following steps below:
- The process of applying for Cambodian citizenship is took place at the Ministry of interior.
- Prepared all the requirement document and make a copy the them, then submit the application and requirement documents at the Ministry of interior. You can find the application at the Ministry or download in from the Embassy of Cambodia website.
- When the application is submitted, the citizenship officer will go through the application and document once again to verify information. (The interview is also carried out at that time)
- After that, they will make the decision for your application whether you’re rejected or accepted.
The requirement documents that should be attached with your application:
- Birth certificate
- Current passport
- Your identity card
- Your recent photo
- Medical and police clearance certificate
Citizenship has no validity period, but your citizenship may be revoked back if you do something opposing the law of the country namely by joining a foreign army is considered as the activity that is against the laws of Cambodia.
In some cases, a country will not allow an individual to enter if that person has a criminal record or carrying a contagious disease.